Saturday, May 30, 2009

Saying goodbye


Today was a sad day. We had to say goodbye to my sister Elizabeth, known as Aunt Liza to her nephews and niece. Elizabeth came to stay with us for a little more than three weeks while we waited and waited and waited for a baby to arrive, and then to help us once she arrived. I can't begin to describe what a help she was to us - cleaning our house, cooking our meals, getting us stocked up on groceries and supplies, taking care of Nate and Evie, and doing everything in-between.

When Nate was born my mom spent three weeks with us in Istanbul doing the same thing. My mom was probably very sick at the time because it was only a little more than a month later that she was diagnosed with cancer, but she gave herself so sacrificially. I'm indescribably sad and heartbroken that she wasn't here for Evie's birth, but I'm forever grateful to my sister who sacrificed her own time and energy to take her place.

3 comments:

Jana said...

congrats blans! little girls are so much fun. ya'll are going to have a blast. she's beautiful, and i love her name!

Anonymous said...

Needless to say, I am also indescribably sad and heartbroken that Mom did not get to experience this joy with you. She would be so proud of you, so happy for you, and so in love with Evie. I am choosing to believe that she knows all about it and I will help you make sure that Nate and Evie hear lots of stories about their Grammy as they grow. Thank you for allowing me to share in such a special time of your life.

Much love from Aunt Liza

Jack and Sheryl said...

I'm so bummed that your sister left. I hope that you have lots of people bringing you food and and such. I wish I could send you some of the kuru fasulye left over from lunch. :)