Friday, February 10, 2012

Little Helpers

Nate and Evie both LOVE to help me in the kitchen. It seems like every time I step foot in the kitchen they've already pulled their chairs up next to me to watch and help. And every single time I have to fight with myself and tell my do-everything-myself-because-it's-better-and-easier nature to back off and just let there be more mess and less sanity.

We don't buy many prepared foods, so I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. And since my kids like to be wherever I am, this event of moving chairs around the kitchen happens a few times a day. I do tell them no when it's absolutely inconvenient or unsafe, but the rule is that they get to help. I know I really should teach them to be independent and go play by themselves for a little while, but that's another issue.

My kids love to help. And I want them to love to help. And to love cooking. And to learn early that our health and wellness (and pocketbooks) are worth a little extra time in the kitchen preparing food ourselves. Hopefully before long they'll be my bread bakers, waffle makers, and cheerful helpers with all of our kitchen chores.

Letting them help has only burnt us once - literally. A couple months ago Evie was standing next to the stove, right where she is in the pictures below, and she laid her hand on a hot burner. She did it right after I told her it was hot and not to touch it. I think she takes me a little bit more seriously now. She cried for a couple hours, and her hand blistered pretty badly. Once again I was thankful for a nurse friend saving us a trip to the ER. My mother instincts (or was it my frustration with her disobedience?) told me it wasn't bad enough to take her, in spite of what the nurse on call at the doctor's office suggested. Our friend told us how to take care of it and keep it clean. It healed well, and now Evie is much more careful (and so am I!) when she's standing next to a hot stove!

 Putting the clean silverware away. Oops, that spoon doesn't go there. Who wants their silverware in perfect order anyway? (I do!)

Such a sweet little helper!

No comments: