I planned on making stockings this year, but that just didn't happen. So I bought a couple cheapo stockings from Walgreens, cut the names out of red felt, and glued them on with fabric glue. (Why Walgreens? Because I've never had to fight a crowd there, and they actually have the perfect little Christmas selection. My head didn't spin while I was picking out stockings!)
We love Charlie Brown, so I found this Charlie Brown Christmas poster and framed it for the mantle. Then, our good friend and Stephen's coworker, Miss Cheryl Essex, gave us the most wonderful gift - a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. She completed our decor. Thank you, Cheryl!
I still have to figure out exactly what to do with these guys. Stephen's mom gave these miniature ornaments to us for Christmas a few years ago. Maybe we'll put them on the Charlie Brown tree.
The other new thing we've done to celebrate Advent this year is the Jesse Tree. Each day we read or tell the kids a Bible story, and then they put an ornament on the tree that goes along with the story. The stories start in the Old Testament and lead up to Jesus' birth. We had a craft night at our church a couple months ago where we made all of the ornaments for it, and that was REALLY helpful. I would've struggled to make them all myself, and I would've come away with even more hot glue gun wounds than I did. Ouch! As you can see, our Christmas tree is nothing special, so we just designated the bottom portion of it for the ornaments. If we do this again next year I'll probably take out some stories and add others I think are more important in leading up to Jesus' birth, but overall we've really enjoyed it.




1 comment:
Hey, Sarah! Just reading your last post and curious about why you struggle with American Christmas. So do I, but maybe not for the same reason...?
Post a Comment