Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A year ago today ...

My first view of Evelyn Ray, May 25, 2009.

It's hard to believe that an entire year has passed since this sweet baby girl arrived. She has grown and developed so beautifully, and has brought such joy to our home. And she's only one! I can't begin to imagine what kind of an amazing woman she'll become, and how much more joy she'll bring us.

I had some hard days surrounding Mother's Day this year. Mom died on Mother's Day two years ago, and I grieved hard this year. I can't explain why - maybe because of all the commercials on TV and ads in stores leading up to the day. They only reminded me that two long years had passed without seeing and talking to Mom. That she hasn't watched Nate grow into the rough and tumble two year old boy that he is, who looks so much like her own Nathan did at this age. And that she hasn't even met sweet Evie girl. And that I just don't want more time to pass without filling her in on all the details of our life, like I used to do every single day.

As I raise my young children, there are so many things that remind me of my own Mom. Like how every birthday morning when we woke up, Mom came in singing Happy Birthday, but she always sang an extra verse to it that made it better than just the regular Happy Birthday song. I'm not sure where she learned it, because I don't know anyone else who sings it, but I can still hear her alto voice singing it to me.

So this morning, just like Mom did every morning on my birthday, when I went in to get Evie out of her crib, I sang Happy Birthday to her with the additional verse that Mom always sang. And I could almost hear Mom singing with me. It goes like this:

So today is your birthday, That is what I've been told.
What a wonderful birthday, you are one more year old.
On your cake there'll be candles all lighted for you,
And the whole world is singing,
Happy Birthday to you!

Happy Birthday, sweet Evie girl!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

My eyes are teary. Sarah, I'm so sorry your mom isn't here to see what a wonderful mother you are! Those are some lucky kids.

Carrie Jaggers said...

Okay, so now I'm crying. Wow, I didn't realize that it has already been 2 years. I am so sorry that you have to go through these moments without her. I can't imagine how difficult it must be. But, we do know that we will see her later and she is always singing with you. And unfortunately for us there are many more loved ones joining her as of late. I'm sure today was bittersweet. Hope you are doing well.