Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Preauricular pits

Some of you know that Nate was born with a mysterious hole in each of his ears. The picture below isn't of his ear, but his looks exactly like it. We asked about them at birth and a couple times after that, but no one ever knew what they were. At his 9 month check-up while we were in the states I asked his doctor about them and he referred me to an ear, nose, and throat doctor. We had our appointment with that doctor last week, and he immediately knew what they were - preauricular pits. You can click on the link to read more about them. They have to be surgically removed. Nate's surgery is set for 2:15 this Friday, August 8 at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati. Nate will have to be put out and the surgery will last 1 to 1 1/2 hours. We're obviously not very excited about it, but it's a relief to finally know what the holes are. If you think of it on Friday around that time, please pray that Nate does well throughout the whole process (he'll have to stop eating several hours before the surgery), and that we do too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will be praying.

Erica said...

Sorry to hear that Nate has to have surgery. Calvin also had surgery this week. It's not fun on parents at all. I dreaded it since we scheduled it. Calvin did great and seems to be recovering well.

I'll be praying for you guys tomorrow.

ellieandavasmommy said...

So, I just realized that it's Friday - I am a day off! That's what happens when you're a stay-at-home mom!! Anyway, hope things went well today!