Saturday, July 13, 2013

Road Trip

Another summer means another insane road trip for us. This time we drove from Fort Worth to Lake Forest, IL to Lewisport, KY to Fort Thomas, KY and back to Fort Worth. Simon handled his first road trip like a champ. He fussed and cried some, but then again so did I. Who wouldn't after being in the car that long? Nate and Evie took turns throwing up - Nate on the way there and Evie on the way home - but other than that they traveled well. I love my family, but I really hope I don't have to be closed up in a car with them for that many hours again for a while. Here are some highlights from the trip.

First stop: Lake Forest. We spent the first weekend of our trip with my brother and his family near Chicago. We hadn't seen them in a year and a half, so it was really good to catch up with them. They live near Lake Michigan, so we got to go to the beach one day.

It was a beautiful day for the beach. The high was only in the 70's, 
so the water was too cold to swim in.

Simon getting his feet wet.

Evie and Sam taking a chip break.
I thought they were SO cute sitting there talking and eating!

This girl loves chips!

Stephen and Simon with Nathan and Will.

Erica with her three boys.

Nate and Sam

High five!

My boys.

Next stop: The Lewisport Blans. Highlights in Lewisport were riding Granddad's tractor and four-wheeler, watching Cameron and Katie play softball, Evie's first haircut, "camping" with cousins, fishing with Granddad, and roasting marshmallows for smores. The kids went nonstop while we were there and had a blast!

Aunt Annie gave Evie her very first haircut. All her baby curls are gone, 
but at least she doesn't whine and complain every time I brush her hair now. 

Thanks, Aunt Annie!

Looking even more like a big girl with her haircut!

Making monkey bread with Cameron and Katie. 
Shaking the cinnamon sugar onto biscuit dough.

Big Timmy and Little Timmy (and Nate). 
Simon Timothy was named after his Uncle Tim.

Fishing with Granddad: they used these little minnows as bait.

Evie was a very patient little fishergirl. She caught two fish!

Nate had a hard time sitting and waiting for the fish to bite. 
He's too busy to sit and wait! He kept reeling his line in before 
any fish could bite. He did somehow manage to catch one fish. 

One of the catches.

Watching Granddad unhook the fish to throw him back.

Looks like she's about to take a bite!

Even I got in on the action - as long as I didn't have to bait
my own hook. Thanks, Granddad!

Last stop: Northern Kentucky. We planned our trip around the birth of my sister's baby, so her house was our final stop. We didn't want to be waiting around for a baby to arrive. :) Ellen Ruth made her entrance on June 18th. Unfortunately we didn't do a very good job taking pictures while we were there. Too many babies to take care of I guess! Here's a few that Stephen captured.

Good morning! Simon and Ethan catching up on life. 
We hadn't seen Ethan since their visit shortly after Simon was born
so both of these little boys have changed quite a bit since we last saw each other. 
Ethan is still just as sweet and cuddly, but busier than ever!

Soaking up some time with baby Ellen. Sweet girl!

 Simon couldn't keep his hands off Ellen either. He's ready for her 
to run and play with him. Maybe next summer, Simon.

They started construction across the street from my sister's house 
while we were there, providing great entertainment for the kids.
Simon got to sit and watch them from inside.

Evie said again the other day, "I love baby Ellen." We miss you!

I really would've liked to visit more family and friends than we were able to this trip. My hope and plan is that we will in the future - when the kids are older and we don't have a baby in tow. Traveling will get easier, right? If it won't, please just lie to me and say it will.

No comments: