Monday, March 25, 2013

Garden: Round Two

Last year's garden was one big disappointment learning lesson. We planted too many tomatoes, so as they grew they shaded all the other plants and kept them from growing. We had tons of tomatoes, but lost most of them to blossom rot. There were a few that turned red, but then squirrels stole them just before we were going to pick them. They even left one sitting on top of our fence to taunt us. Basil was the only thing that did really well. It seeded and I ended up with basil growing in four of our buckets. It's a good thing we love basil pesto!

Anyway, we're starting over, but this time with much lower expectations. We planted fewer tomatoes,  bought some treatment for the blossom rot, and we're planning to get chicken wire to keep the squirrels out. If I get to eat at least one homegrown tomato I'll be satisfied.

 Spring Break gave us some beautiful days to work and play outside.


Evie working in her own "garden."

No comments: