Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Potty Training and Prayer

Of course potty training and prayer are very closely related, but I actually have two different stories to tell.

I know that potty training and prayer are very closely related because I tried potty training Nate last week. Between running Nate to the potty every time he seemed like he had to go and sitting on the bathroom floor (for what added up to be hours I'm sure) singing and reading every song and book he likes over and over to get him to stay on, I had numerous conversations with God!

After a four-day potty training marathon I made the decision to call it off for now. Nate was getting very upset every time I put him on the potty, crying and clinging to me. After four days he was no better than the first, so we stopped. Maybe we'll try again in a couple months, one more time before baby girl Blan arrives.

We've tried to be more intentional lately about including Nate in mealtime prayer - telling him we're going to pray, holding his hand, and ending with a hearty "Amen." He's even been saying "Amen" after we say it, his fourth word I think. I don't usually pray with him at breakfast (heathen, I know), but this morning halfway through his breakfast he grabbed my hand and held it like we do during prayer time, looked at me and waited for me to pray. I prayed and we ended with our "Amen." I'm so thankful for my sweet boy, and I pray that he would always be so earnest for the Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Liza thinks this is SO SWEET.