Sunday, February 25, 2007

Does my face look fat to you?

The fun of being pregnant in a tactless culture began today
when I received my first pregnancy compliment:
"Your face looks fat. How much weight have you gained?"

Here's some other helpful "advice" I've received since being pregnant. Those of you who know the culture know why I said "advice".

  • Don’t do anything that might qualify as work or exercise. It's harmful for the baby.
  • Drink as much tea as possible. It turns straight into milk for the baby.
  • Sit on the floor. It’s more comfortable for the baby.
  • Don’t use your cell phone. It’ll give the baby cancer.
  • Don't drink cold water. The baby will get cold.
  • Don’t drive over any bumps on the road. It’s dangerous for the baby. (An impossible task here.)
  • Don't wear blue jeans. They squash the baby . . .
I have no doubt that many, many more will follow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just laughed and laughed when I read this! Great post and so true! the things we missed in health class in America! Who knew?!

ellieandavasmommy said...

No, your face doesn't look fat...and I got the same thing when I was pregnant with Ellie!

The G Family said...

oh sarah! these comments reminded me so much of what they would tell me in cambodia. the never agreed with my pants-wearing and they couldn't believe i rode in a car pregnant over all the bumpy roads (it's much safer on the back of a moto...where the driver can avoid the bumps). cultural differences crack me up! anyway, you look beautiful...very glowing and healthy...not fat at all (i don't think it's possible for you to look fat.). let us know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

Your face is in NO way fat! There is nothing on you fat. You are beautiful Sarah and just think of the wonderful lil miracle growing inside you. Blessings to you and your hubby and baby boy Blan. Congratulations We cannot wait to see his pic on here. Take Care
Jason and Merranda