In America we can buy any kind of produce any time of year – apples and pears in the summer or cantaloupe and watermelon in the winter. Before moving overseas I didn’t know which fruit or vegetable grew in which season (besides tomatoes of course). There everything can either be imported or grown in a hot house. Well, they don’t do much importing here, and I’m not sure about the hot houses. One thing I’ve enjoyed during my first year here is learning which fruits and vegetables are winter, spring, summer, or fall fruits and vegetables.I was sad when I couldn’t find broccoli anymore last spring, but it made me that much happier when it returned last month. I missed apples all summer, but now I can’t get my fill. Apples were replaced by the juiciest peaches I’ve ever tasted during the late summer and early fall. Watermelon never tasted as good as it did in the evenings after those hot summer days. I’ve learned how to cook and puree my own pumpkin since it arrived in stores a few weeks ago. Soon our refrigerator will be filled with grapefruit and oranges as we head into the winter.
1 comment:
Can you get fresh cranberries there? If y ou can, I'll send you my recipe for cranberry tea. It would be great made with fresh oranges and lemons.
Post a Comment