Friday, September 01, 2006

Grandma

While we were away on vacation my grandma finally went to be with the Lord. I say finally because for the past few years my grandma has suffered from severe dementia. Now, instead of remembering her as she was in her last ungraceful years, I can remember the grandma of my childhood. The grandma who went sled-riding with us down her monstrous hill and played wiffle-ball with us in her front yard. Who I could count on to take me up the road to get a child's 3-way and coney from Gold Star Chili when I spent the day at her house, and who would pretend to faint every time she smelled my feet. Who tirelessly played “Old Maid” with me and kept me supplied with pudding pops. Who sang “Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus” to me long before I understood what the words of the song meant. I’m so thankful that she truly has turned her eyes upon Him now, and for the joy she must have in His presence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
That is such a nice article -- a sweet tribute to your Grandma. It made me cry -- but also brought back fun memories. Thank you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah...those words were touching. I definately got a little something in my eyes (and I have emotions like you). I'm glad you were able to remember the good times... what a neat grandma!

Can I say that everytime I read this blog...yall change my mind and make me want to visit there...thanks a lot!