Monday, July 31, 2006

To Do Lists

Few people in the world gain more satisfaction than my wife in crossing something off her to do list, maybe no one. Even though I’m not a planner I realize things have to get done. Since my wife says I have the world’s worst memory I’ve conceded to making weekly to do lists. But in contrast to the joy of crossing something off is the utter frustration of not being able to cross anything off.

Before coming overseas we were told that if you get one thing accomplished in a day, consider it a success. They say that because outside of the fast paced, microwaved western world, life is lived at a much slower pace. And the city we’re living in is definitely no exception.

For example: when they say they will drop your water heater off between 9 and 12, they really mean “You’ll be lucky to get it today, but if by some unforeseen reason you do it’ll probably be around 8:30 tonight. Oh, and of course, if you’re not there when we bring it you’ll need to come back by the store and set up another time for us to bring it to you. Have a nice day. Thank you for giving us your money.”

Unfortunately, being the full-blooded American that I am, I still haven’t gotten used to the slowness of this culture. Some of my most frustrating days have been because of my failure to be patient.

Now if I can just get my internet to run a little faster I could post this on the blog before the electricity goes out … again.

No comments: